Inner Line Permit (ILP):

For Indian other than native of Arunachal Pradesh, ILP is required for entering into any part of Arunachal Pradesh, ILP is issued by the designated authories of Arunachal Pradesh Government.

Further details are available at the official website of the Department of Information and Public Relation and Printing and Tourism Department, Government of Arunachal Pradesh.
Also the e-ILP (Temporary) can be obtained online by visiting here

Protected/Restricted Area Permit for India

The Foreigner (protected area) Act requires foreigner to obtain a Protect Area Permit (PAP) to visit certain area in India. This requirement is in addition to getting an Indian visa. In order to get this permit, you must meet certain requirements. Such restriction is in place due to security reason.

Even Indian Citizens who are not residence of those areas require an Inner Line Permit (ILP) to enter these places. The Inner Line Permit (ILP) is significantly easier to get. However, NRIs (Indian who are staying abroad for more than 6 months), PIO Card holders, and OCI holders are not eligible for Inner Line Permit. They will have to apply for a regular protected/ Restricted Area Permit.
However, most of these are remote and away from normal tourist destination. Some tourists still visit the restricted area because they are very beautiful and fascinating remote places. The previous PAP requirements have been lifted for Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and the Darjeeling Area of West Bengal.
There is $30 fee for Protected/Restricted Are Permits for all nationalities.

Protect Area Permit Form

Please keep in the mind that Protected/Restricted Areas are not necessarily dangerous travels. However, there may be other parts of India that may be dangerous to foreign travellers, but no special permit may be required to visit those areas.


Tourist must travel in groups of at least four people. However, in some places like Nagaland, these restrictions not dot apply to married couples. They must travel with a registered travel agent. Only certain entry/exit points are allowed in some area. Non-Indians are not allowed to enter certain areas at all.

A PAP is normally issued for 10 days and has a option of a 7 day extension. The PAP is issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs. Also, different authorities of the concerned Indian states, FRROs, and Indian mission abroad can also issue such permit. Normally, your travel agent should be able to get the PAP for you.
Exception: Citizens of Pakistan, Bangladesh, China and Myanmar (Burma) can get the PAP only with the approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs.


Hypothetically, a native of Arunachal Pradesh (one of the Protected Area) goes to the USA on H1B visa and stays for years. While in the USA, he married a US Citizen and has a child born in USA, also a US Citizen. If he wants to return to his native place for permanent settle, his entire family canít settle there. This is because foreign citizen are given permission only for 10 days for with possible extension of 7 or more day. They are not allowed to permanently settle in Protect/Restricted Areas. Long-tern or permanent permits are not given to non-Indian family members, not even to persons of Indian Origin but foreign citizen now.

Restriction for protected/restricted areas are in place for security reasons and to protect, from outside influence, the culture of native people living there. However, as it is easy to get an Inner line Permit for Indian Citizens, many Indian from other regions are moving to protect/restricted areas. It is unsure whether temporary whether temporary visiting tourist would have more of a cultural impact to the native people than many Indian with significantly different cultural backgrounds from other areas of the country.

Arunachal Pradesh

Protect Area:
Itanagar, Ziro, Along, Pasighat, Miao, Namdapha and Sujesa (Puki) Bhalukpong.

Permit Granting Authorities

Home Commissioner, Government of Arunachal Pradesh, Itanagar
All FRROs at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chief Immigration Officer, Chennai
All India Mission abroad


Tourist groups travel on identified tour circuits only
Individual tourist not permitted, 10 days allowed.

Additional Trekking Routes Opened-up for foreign Tourists:

Pasighat-Jengging-Yingkiong, Bhalukpong-Bomdila-Tawang, Roing-Mayodia-Anini, Tezu-Hayuliang.

Apply at least 4 weeks in advance of anticipated travel dates.
All the foreigners are required to obtain the Protected Area Permit for entering into Arunachal Pradesh. For further details are available at the official website of the Department of Information and Public Relation and Printing and Tourism Department, Government of Arunachal Pradesh.